Hay makes up approximately 70% of your bunnies diet. They need an unlimited supply of hay to get the required fiber and protein to keep them regular. A bunny constantly needs food moving through the gut in order to live a healthy life.
What you may not know is that different types of hay should be fed to bunnies of different ages. This is because of the varying protein, fiber, calcium, and overall caloric content of each species of hay.
We have sifted through dozens of different hay brands and varieties and have come up with the top hay products for each unique bunny owner.
1. Viking Farmer Alfalfa Hay – Best Baby Bunny Hay.
2. Oxbow Western Timothy Hay – Best Adult Bunny Hay.
3. Kaytee Timothy Hay 1st or 2nd Cut – Best Hay For Bunnies With Digestive Issues.
4. Small Pet Select Orchard Hay – Best For Owners Who Are Allergic To Timothy Hay.
5. Small Pet Select 3rd Cutting “Super Soft” Timothy Hay – Best Hay For Picky Bunnies.
1. Viking Farmer Alfalfa Hay – Best Hay For Baby Bunnies
When you’re choosing Alfalfa hay for your little baby bunny, you want the best, freshest hay for them to help them grow into a big, strong, adult bunny. It’s important that you feed Alfalfa hay because it has the highest protein, fiber, calcium, and caloric content to help your bunny grow!
That is why you must check out Viking Farmer Alfalfa Hay. Viking Farmer Alfalfa Hay is 100% pure hay that is all-natural and freshly cut. An added bonus is that it is harvested with no additives, preservatives, pesticides, or GMO products.
We really like this hay product because it is a family-owned business and all hay is grown, fertilized, harvested, and hand-packaged by a small farm. Additionally, their hay is certified weed-free.
We would highly recommend Viking Farmer Alfalfa Hay to anyone looking to give the freshest, highest quality hay to their baby bunny. For just $2.20 per lb for a 25 lb bag, you’re making the most out of your dollar spent.
- Quality controlled and certified weed-free.
- Harvested with no additives, preservatives, pesticides or GMO products.
- It has one of the highest protein and calcium contents out of all Alfalfa hays.
- It comes in a cardboard box that isn’t resealable so you will have to take the hay out and store it in your own box to keep it fresh.
2. Oxbow Hay Western Timothy Hay – Best Adult Bunny Hay
As your bunny grows into an adult, they require hay that has less protein and calcium but still provides plenty of dietary fiber. But you also want the best quality hay for your fur ball.
That is why we have chosen Oxbow Hay Western Timothy Hay. There is a reason Oxbow is one of the most popular rabbit supply brands. Quality!
We like this product because it is specifically grown for small pets. It is hand sorted and selected so you get the highest quality hay each time. And you can’t go wrong with the high fiber content.
We would recommend Oxbow Hay Western Timothy Hay to anyone looking for high quality hay for their adult bunny. At $3.50 per lb for a 5.6 lb bag, it is a little more expensive than other brands of hay but you’re paying for the quality.
- Grown in the USA.
- Recommended by veterinarians worldwide.
- High quality, high fiber hay.
- A little more expensive than other brands of hay.
3. Kaytee Timothy Hay 1st or 2nd Cut – Best Hay For Bunnies With Digestive Issues
Is your bunny suffering from diarrhea, skin problems, or digestive issues? Then it might be the hay your bunny is eating. There are three different cuts of hay. First, second, and third cuts. The first and second cuts of hay potentially work well with bunnies that have digestive issues.
That is why you should check out Kaytee Timothy Hay 1st or 2nd Cut. The first cut is higher in fiber, but lower in protein and fat. The second cut has a balanced nutritional profile.
We really like this product as just like Oxbow, Kaytee is another popular brand because of their amazing quality of hay. They store their hay in a climate-controlled environment to ensure their hay stays fresh.
We would highly recommend the Kaytee Timothy Hay 1st cut over the second cut if your bunny needs extra dental support. At $2.92 per lb for a 6.5 lb bag, it’s a great price for hay that will provide digestive and dental support.
- High in fiber, but low in protein and calcium to reduce urinary tract infections.
- Potentially help with skin or digestive problems.
- Cheaper than other quality hay products.
- Can potentially be dusty in the bag.
4. Small Pet Select Orchard Hay – Best For Owners Who Are Allergic To Timothy Hay
There is nothing worse than opening a new bag of joy for your bunny and you start sneezing relentlessly. Sadly, you can be allergic to your bunny’s favorite staple food, and often it’s a reaction to Timothy hay. Luckily, there are hay products specifically made for bunny owners just like you!
That is why you must check out Small Pet Select Orchard Hay. Orchard hay has a virtually identical nutritional profile to Timothy hay without the allergic reaction that you and/or your bunny may have.
We really like this product because Small Pet Select are a brand that sells some of the highest quality hay specifically grown for small pets. They even recheck their hay bundles before they are shipped so you know you are getting the best quality hay each time.
We highly recommend Small Pet Select Orchard Hay to anyone who suffers from allergies from their current hay product. At $1.60 per lb for a 50 lb bag, it’s an absolute bargain!
- Cheaper than most other hay products but still very high quality.
- Perfect for allergy sufferers.
- In house quality control so you always get fresh hay.
- Comes in a cardboard box that doesn’t reseal so you will need to transfer the hay to a resealable box to keep it fresh.
5. Small Pet Select 3rd Cutting “Super Soft” Timothy Hay – Best Hay For Picky Bunnies
Sometimes, we can have bunnies that are very picky. Maybe your bunny doesn’t like the stems or the taste of other hay brands. The third cut of hay is always the softest and has very few stems.
That is why we have selected Small Pet Select 3rd Cutting “Super Soft” Timothy Hay. This product contains fewer stems and seed heads than second and first hay cuts. This is what makes it more palatable for picky bunnies who don’t like fibrous hay.
We really like this product because they are a small business who really care about small animals. They also offer a 100% money back guarentee!
We highly recommend Small Pet Select 3rd Cutting “Super Soft” Timothy Hay for anyone who has a picky bunny that won’t eat regular hay cuttings. At $1.60 per lb for a 50 lb bag, it is easily the best priced third cut hay.
- Perfect for bunnies that are picky with what hay they eat.
- 100% money back guaranteed if you’re not satisfied (you will be).
- Owned and operated as a small business so there is lots of love and care towards this product.
- Has a higher protein and fat content than first and second hay cuttings.
If you would like to check the nutritional profile of your current hay product you can check this handy table below we’ve created for you.